Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Be A Donor


20% Time was implemented into my class to help encourage my peers and I to explore a certain topic this semester that was not just about the class, anatomy and physiology. This new process is basically supposed to be twenty percent of our class time is devoted to exploring our topics, to create something new and innovated and, at the end of the semester, present our final results to the class in a TED talk style kind of presentation. This is supposed to encourage us to explore a subject that we wouldn't usually explore because there just isn't enough time in our daily schedule to to do it. With 20% Time, we can explore any subject that we desire and come up with a solution pertaining to the essential question that we ask ourselves at the beginning of this whole process.The essential question that I have asked myself is what can be done to help the 118,000 Americans that are on the waiting list for a lifesaving organ get an organ transplant faster. 



My 20% Time project is one where I explore the differences between the American system of organ donation, having people voluntarily want to become an organ donor, to a different country's system of of organ donation, making everyone become a organ donor automatically at the age of 18. I chose this project because this topic really hits close to home for me. 
My mom, the one in red in the picture, was actually diagnosed with renal failure at the age of 19, but was able to receive a kidney transplant from her sister after 5 years that surprisingly lasted my mother 20 years. Not too long ago, though, my mom's transplanted kidney failed in 2012 and she went back into renal failure once again. She has now been on dialysis for about three years and has been waiting for a kidney transplant this whole time. Of course I have wanted to donate my own kidney to my mom, but since I was a minor at the time I have not been able to, so I've just had to sit back and wait for someone else to donate their kidney to my mom. During the first few years, though, my family tried to spread the word for the need of a donor for my mom through facebook, but no one would respond with a ‘yes, i’ll do it’, but instead with a ‘I’m so sorry that this happened to you, I wish I could do something.’We did, however, get one person, one of my mom’s co workers daughter actually, to volunteer to donate her kidney. She wasn't able to donate her kidney, unfortunately, because she was a breast cancer recovery patient just a few years ago. Out of everyone that knew about my mother’s situation, a cancer survivor was the only person to want to volunteer and help save a life. In order to help people like my mom, I want to be able to understand this process and spread the word that there are people like this that are in need of a lifesaving organ. That not everyone is lucky enough to be perfectly healthy.

My goal is to find out what I can about the pros and cons of each system and, eventually, spread the word of the need of having people become an automatic donor in order to help save lives. I'll measure my progress by how much information I have gathered over the semester and once I have reached a point where I cannot extract any more information, that is where I will have reached the peak of my research. I'll then go around the community and doing a random sampling of whether they prefer one system to the other. I'll know I'll have reached some sort of success when I can inform people about how real this type of situation is in our small city. My plan from here is to now begin that research that I have mentioned before to enhance my knowledge about both organ transplant systems.

2 comments:

  1. I was so impressed when I first saw your project proposal a few weeks ago, and am completely confident that you'll make something great from it! You seem to have some great resources for inspiration and reference as you make this project a reality. On your way to reaching the peak of your research, I'd recommend reaching out to a local hospital and seeing if anyone who works there (whether it be an assistant, nurse, etc.) can provide you with some insight into their own experiences or understandings of what it means to be a donor. An organ donation and transplantation organization like The Alliance could really be of use to you. They have a leadership council comprised of neurologists, transplant surgeons, organ procurement professionals, and more with whom you may want to get in touch. Another interesting component of your research could be profiling other organ donors or recipients and sharing their stories on your blog or in a book to spread awareness of the reality of their situations. If you were to try to take this to a legislative level, what means would you go about to make it happen?

    - Claire Strickland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story is extremely touching and I can see how passionate you are about this project. Just like your mother, several people are facing the same issues as they wait and wait for a donor to help them. I think that if you successfully carry this out, you will have a means to spread awareness in society. I would encourage you to have a public showing of your results or somehow get your research published. Maybe, you can write case reports on your findings. This idea is really unique and I'm looking forward to seeing the end result! Good luck Vicky!

    ReplyDelete